The vineyards at Taittinger date back to 1734 and was originally owned by Jacques Fourneaux. In 1932, Pierre Taittinger bought the Chateaux from Forest-Fourneaux.
From 1945 to 1960 the vineyards and day to day running of the business was run by Pierre's third son François.
During this times the cellars were based in the historic thirteenth century Abbey of Saint-Nicaise.
After François death in 1960, his brother took over the business and over the next 45 years
turned Tattinger into one of the most famous family-run champagne house in the world.
But in 2005 the business was sold to American private investment firm Starwood Capital Group.
This sale caused ruffles within the champagne and wine community, they felt that the new owners would not take the time to fully understand what goes into making excellent champagne.