A truly historic Tuscan wine
Castello di Fonterutoli has been owned by the Mazzei family since 1435 and still retains the original traits of a typical Tuscan village in central Italy: a cluster of houses, the church of San Miniato and the villa, built at the end of the 1500s where the medieval castle once stood. The village (left) sits in the heart of the Chianti Classico hills, 5km south of Castellina in Chianti, its nearest town. The wine cellars of Fonterutoli are among the most impressive in the region – they were designed by architect and family member Agnesi Mazzei and built into the hillside with minimal impact on the surrounding environment.
In 1398, family ancestor Ser Lapo Mazzei was the first person to compile a legal document in which 'Chianti wine' was mentioned. And so this sumptuous Chianti Classico Riserva – Ser Lapo – is named in his honour, and his handwritten extracts from that very document are shown on the bottle label. Today, the estate comprises 117 hectares of vineyard that are mainly planted with Sangiovese, alongside Merlot, Colorino, Malvasia Nera and Cabernet Sauvignon vines. It's these grapes that go into Fonterutoli's award-winning wines, admired by many all over the world for their style, finesse and elegance.