We use cookies to provide you with a better service on our websites. You are free to manage this via your browser setting at any time. To learn more about how we use the cookies, please see our cookies policy.Close

Order by phone 0800 188881

To maintain your security you have have been logged out from Waitrose Cellar due to no activity. Sign in againClose

Menu

Cellar

Shopping Cart

Find your Christmas inspiration here

Château Villemaurine 2013, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé
Château Villemaurine 2013, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé
Château Villemaurine 2013, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé
Château Villemaurine 2013, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé

Château Villemaurine 2013, Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé

Very approachable Saint-Émilion Grand Cru Classé

From an historic château on the doostep of Saint-Émilion itself, this offers an elegant, juicy, berry fruit palate that is perfectly balanced with fresh tannins. Savour now or in the next 10 years.

£35.00
Out of stock

Wine at a glance

Colour glass of Red
Style
A
B
C
D
E
Medium to Full Bodied
  • Bin no: 694244
  • Size: 75cl
  • Alc Vol: 13.50 %vol
  • Vintage: 2013
  • Closure: Cork
  • Grape: 0
  • Region: Bordeaux , France
  • Special Features: -
It is an offence to purchase or attempt to purchase alcoholic liquor if you are under the age of 18

Buyer's Notes

Tasting note


Elegant, Juicy and bright fruit profile with notes of plum and morello cherry. It is well put together with neat balance and fresh tannins, but a little more complexity might have been achieved with an easier vintage. However, there is plenty of fruit and it has a friendly style that make is a pleasure for earlier drinking.

Varietal mix: 95% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc.

Critic's score: Jancis Robinson: 16.5/20. Decanter: 85/100.


Château profile


Château Villemaurine is located in the appellation of St Émilion, the vineyard are made up of 80% Merlot grapes with remaining 20% being made up of Cabernet Franc, producing elegant wines with mineral overtones.


The modern winemaking history for Chateau Villemaurine starts in 2007 when it was purchased by Justin Onclin who modernized and upgraded the whole estate. He added a new vat room with temperature controlled, smaller vats as well as a new tasting room. The low capacity vats allow for individual parcel vinification for extra precision. They also brought in Stephane Derenoncourt to consult which resulted in a clear improvement in techniques and resulting quality. The 7 hectare vineyard lies on clay and limestone soils that are planted to 95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc with the intention to increase the amount of Cabernet Franc to as much as 20% over time. The wine is whole berry fermented in stainless steel and malolactic fermentation takes place in barrel. The wine is aged in 80% new, French oak barrels with total production on average close to 1,200 cases per year.

What is En Primeur?

Buying wine En Primeur or 'in the barrel' is an excellent way of securing some of the best wines of this year's vintage. From the top Crus to smaller, excellent value producers, the Waitrose Bordeaux En Primeur selection offers a superb range at all price points and is a great opportunity to invest in fine wines from this prestigious region.


Buying En Primeur from Waitrose is a simple and secure way to add some interesting wines to your cellar whilst offering a unique taste of this fascinating vintage.


Waitrose En Primeur prices are based on 6 bottles and exclude VAT and Duty, but include shipping from Bordeaux straight to your door (within mainland UK).


Find out more about buying En Primeur through us, as well as a detailed report of the vintage >

What happens next?

At the end of the En Primeur sales period (Summer 2014) you will receive a certificate of purchase from Waitrose Cellar. We will also bill you at the same time your certificate is sent. Your wine will be maturing in the barrel in Bordeaux for a further 2-3 years until it is bottled and released by the Château. When it is ready for shipment in Summer 2016 we will contact you to ask if you would like to take delivery or arrange longer term storage. If you choose delivery, then we will request payment of the duty and VAT applicable at the prevailing rate prior to delivery. If you prefer storage, professional cellarage under bond can be arranged with our fine wine storage partner Vinothèque at a competitive rate.


If you would like to chat through the selection or are looking for advice on how to buy En Primeur, please contact our wine specialists who will be happy to help. Call them on 01344 825523 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, or email enprimeur@waitrosecellar.com